Friday, December 18, 2009

4 Stages of Culure Shock::

4 STAGES OF CULTURE SHOCK:::
(excerpts from Center for Global Education Handbook)

-:- HONEYMOON -:- HOSTILITY -:- HUMOR -:- HOME -:-

1) HONEYMOON: everything is exciting and exotic
- "people seem so relaxed, unrushed; they really have their priorities right."
- "the tropical plants are gorgeous."
- "despite their poverty, people are incredibly generous."
- "People really know how to enjoy life."

2) HOSTILITY: everything is dreadfully chaotic and frustrating
- "People (systems/traffic/etc.) here are irrational."
- "Things are so untidy here / people are so dirty."
- "Things are so inefficient/people don´t plan ahead/people are lazy."
- "People here are supposed to be open and warm, but they´re actually very cold."

** in a reverse-hostility situation a sojourner´s hostility may also be directed towards one´s home culture. **(which we actually see quite a bit of here)

3) HUMOR: is reached when the sojourner is willing to make light of his or her confusion and discomfort. =) laughter eases the tension of not knowing what is appropriate or how to make sense of something. Easing the tension in turn, frees one to ask questions and continue learning

4) HOME: indicates that the cultural sojourner has reached a general level of comfort within her new context. there may still be questions and akward moments, but she has grown comfortable with a certain level of discomfort. she experiments with strategies to learn what she needs to know. She recognizes strengths and weaknesses of the cultures of both her home and new contexts.

MOLLY::: somewhere between hostility and humor. I´ve mostly been in the hostile stage admittedly - feeling that everything happens a bit too slowly and haphazardly around here, but i noticed myself crossing into the Humor stage a bit lately - making light of the constant fire crackers exploding outside of our windows, or while walking down the street for example. =) Anyways, I certainly don´t feel at home here. I think the key step towards progress in this are is: RELATIONSHIPS, the more people we get to know, the more we will trust we will build between us. I think TRUST is key to overcoming culture shock.

OTHERS::: Everyone who is living abroad is somewhere in regards to their new culture, any comments?

7 comments:

Mom said...

I don't think you have to be living abroad to go through those stages__I think we go in and out of those cultural stages in other people's homes, neighborhoods, towns, and states.

Mark and DJ said...

Excellent observations Molly and very well written. These insights would be extememly helpful for others who are anticipating similar work---thanks for sharing and Lord bless you and guide you as you and Matt move on through the process! We love you!
(PS: any roosters outside you window too?)

Scott Simon said...

I'd have to say home with the occasional bits of humour and hostility thrown in. I feel totally adjusted but I do find myself laughing at or getting frustrated with little things. I never thought the UK would be so different, but it really has been. Particularly because I came over alone and had to get all the logistics sorted on my own. I find my self making friends at work but sometimes get bored on the weekends, esp. because everyone has now gone home for the holidays.

All the best to you and Matt. I miss you both!

kate said...

thanks for posting this. we will certainly go through this soon, in nz.

Chip Valandra said...

Funny. I just heard a Korean give a teaching on this. I am praying for you and Matt and your time there. May you quickly move to the "I'm at home and love when big bugs crawl into my room uninvited" phase :0)

Anonymous said...

my dear, it's very interesting having words for those very special and difficult feelings you have while trying to live abroad...your being so honest about your feelings touches me - I wish you strength to endure this stage and - sometime - the joy of having a new place on earth you can call home.
with great love,
dina

Unknown said...

hey everyone, thanks so much for your comments! Scotty, i was hoping to hear from you and i´m glad you mostly feel at home. kate, i also thought you would appreciate this. and Dina, you of course experienced culutre shock in Wyoming. =)