Thursday, February 25, 2010

Finalmente!

I finally learned the Subjunctive Mood in Spanish!! I've been hearing about this integral and daunting part of Spanish grammar possibly since high school and definitely since early college from my Spanish-learning-friends and now I TOO KNOW HOW TO SPEAK IN SUBJUNCTIVE!

woo hoo ! I feel like our Spanish is finally getting somewhere. I say "our" because Matt and I have been right about the same level throughout our entire spanish-learning-relationship.

We went to Xela (pronounced "shay-la"), Guatemala to study Spanish for a week recently and we studied at the same school, Celas Maya, where we studied for a few weeks three years ago. It was so wonderful revisiting all of our favorite hang outs in Xela from three years before and revisiting all of our wonderful "when we were falling in love in Guatemala" memories.


This is the courtyard of the school where we studied one-on-one with a local for five hours per day.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

We also had the privilege of studying with our new friends: Jordan and Laura, who are currently long-term volunteers at the San Lucas Mission about 30 minutes around the lake from us here at The Opal House. It was fun having friends for a week - we really enjoyed studying and chatting over fair-trade coffees with them!

~~~~~

This is the Parque Central in Xela. It is quite charming and beautiful with its' neo-classical architecture, it kind of reminds us of a miniature Rome without all the traffic and noise.

4 comments:

kate said...

molly!!

so excited to hear about your spanish.
i dont even remember what subjunctive is, but im proud of you. and miss you A LOT!!!!!

Three Owls said...

this blog is charming and beautiful.

Anonymous said...

Tahnks for the update and the photos of what we will see soon!!
Dj

James said...

If I were unsure of my subjunctive tense verbs, I would be glad to learn them.