Tuesday, June 21, 2011

A Funny Thing About Negation

A funny thing about negation is that some words that exist in negative forms have no correlating affirmative counterpart, which is really amazing and potentially hilarious. The following is an excerpt from Jack Winter's essay in the New Yorker, entitled "How I Met My Wife" (July 25, 1984, p. 82).
:::
It had been a rough day, so when I walked into the party I was very chalant, despite my efforts to appear gruntled and consolate.

I was furling my wieldy umbrella for the coat check when I saw her standing alone in a corner. She was a descript person, a woman in a sate of total array. Her hair was kempt, her clothing shevelled, and she moved in a gainly way.
:::
How fascinating that these words only exist in the negative. I love you, English, and your intricately evolving ways!

No comments: